New Zealanders going overseas

Your New Zealand mobility parking permit may not be accepted in other countries. The rules and regulations may be quite different to the mobility parking permit scheme in New Zealand.

It's a good idea to check before you go on your travels that the places you intend to visit have a disability parking scheme available.

The Federation Internationale de L'Automobile FIA guide for the disabled traveller is a good source of information about parking internationally.

Overseas parking schemes

(updated 2 May 2012)


The Australian Disability Parking Scheme offers a parking permit recognised in all States and Territories.


Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge Scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport. This enables badge holders to park close to where they need to go. The scheme operates throughout the UK.

The concessions provided under the scheme apply to on-street parking only.

Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours in England and Wales, except where there is a ban on loading or unloading.

There is no time limit for parking on yellow lines in Scotland.

Badge holders may park for free and for as long as they need to at on-street parking meters and pay-and-display machines, unless there is a traffic sign specifying a time limit for holders of Blue Badges.

As a visitor from a country outside of the European Union, UK parking enforcement officials may be prepared to recognise your mobility parking permit, although that will be entirely at their own discretion. Take your permit with you and check with the local council in the areas you intend to visit.

Airport Parking for Passengers with Special Needs

The London 2012 website has good information about parking and other services for disabled people going to the Olympics and Paralympics in London.



Parking card for people with disabilities in the European Union

This booklet summarises the rights of the 27 EU Member States for disabled people. (Click on the EN icon if you want to read the English version)



The USA does not have a nationwide parking scheme – requirements for disabled permits or placards for visiting motorists vary from state to state. In some cases, an out of state or international permit is sufficient; in others, a local temporary permit is required.

It is worth checking with your car hire company or contacting the local tourist office for your destination.

Most US states have a Department of Motor Vehicles that provide information on their websites. The DMV Made Simple website can connect you to the right DMV.



Every Canadian province has a parking programme for people with disabilities, except for Nunavut and the Northwest Territories. The parking program in Yukon is set up differently in each city and town.

Take your mobility parking permit when you visit Canada and check with the appropriate authorities in the areas you intend to visit to see if your permit will be recognised.