Applying for a permit
You are eligible if you meet the following criteria;
- You are unable to walk and always require the use of a wheelchair, or
- your ability to walk distances is severely restricted by a medical condition or disability. If for example, you require the use of mobility aids, experience severe pain, or breathlessness, or
- you have a medical condition or disability that requires you to have physical contact or close supervision to safely get around and cannot be left unattended. For example, if you experience disorientation, confusion, or severe anxiety.
There are two types of permit:
You can apply for a long-term permit if you have a permanent medical condition that affects your mobility. A long-term permit is valid for five years.
You can apply for a short-term permit if you have a temporary medical condition that affects your mobility. These are issued for a minimum of three months and a maximum of 12 months.
A three month, six month or nine month permit may be extended to a maximum of 12 months from the date of issue. This requires confirmation from your doctor that your mobility is still affected.
You can apply by post or in person
How to apply for your permit by post or in person
- Download the application form (PDF 856Kb), or contact your local branch of CCS Disability Action and we will post a form to you.
- Fill in the application form and take it to your doctor to complete the medical section (Page 2).
- Check with your local branch which payment method they are able to process - and post the completed form to them, or take it in to the branch.
A permit will be sent to you within seven working days from the date that we receive your application and payment.
Permits can be cancelled if misused.
Please make sure you have read and understood:
- Your responsibilities as a permit holder.
- What you can use the permit for.
- You will be liable for a $150 parking fine if you park in a mobility parking space or try to use concessions in standard parks without displaying a valid permit.
You can apply online for a first time permit:
Checklist for online application form:
To complete the online application process you will need:
- Your authorisation number from your visit to the Doctor.
- Credit card or internet banking details.